Friday, June 20, 2008

But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night

Until now, my frequent business travels had not included a stay at a Holiday Inn Express. That changed recently on a trip to the Des Moines, Iowa area. I stayed at a fairly new Holiday Inn Express in Ankeny - two exits north of I-80 on I-35.

I was checked in by the general manager, who joked that I was in the bridal suite with a heart-shaped bed. My hopes were dashed, however, when I got to my room and found a standard king-sized bed.

The room was large, featuring a work desk, chair, refrigerator and microwave. Two essentials for hotel stays were also free of charge - wireless internet access and breakfast.

A final surprise awaited me when I logged on to the internet service. After agreeing to the provider's terms, I was taken to a page offering free access to Major League Baseball game broadcasts. What a bonus! I enjoyed listening to several innings of my favorite team.

The Ankeny area is developing quickly. The area around the hotel features a business park and is across the street from Outback Steakhouse and Chip's. A couple of blocks away are a variety of restaurants and shops.

No comments: