Friday, April 24, 2009

Baseball road trip

Wow, what a phenomenal night I just had. I'll explain in a minute, but let me first say that this has got me thinking about a perfect baseball road trip for later this summer or early in the fall.

First, I have to admit to being a huge Kansas City Royals fan since I was a young kid in the 1970s. Tonight I had the chance to go to a game in Kansas City that was absolutely perfect.
The weather was great - a bit breezy, but 79 degrees at gametime. The ballpark is almost 40 years old but underwent some renovations in the offseason that make it truly sparkle.

The Royals widened the concourses and added concessions stands. (I had the chili cheese fries at the sports bar in RF - wow) They also added seats and activities in the outfield. Don't worry, the beautiful waterfalls are still there. There's a children's area that features miniature golf, a carousel, baserunning, playground and a miniature baseball diamond. In July, a Royals Hall of Fame is set to open in left field.

As a Royals fan, the game itself was outstanding. I had seats in the second row behind the dugout. Every pitch popped in the mitt, and the crack of the bat as the Royals hit two home runs early in the game was awesome. On the mound, the Royals pitcher struck out 10.

So, driving back to my hotel from the game I started brainstorming about a perfect three-day weekend for later this year.

Starting in Indianapolis, drive four hours to St. Louis on the first day - probably a Friday. Stop in downtown St. Louis to visit the Arch and see the Mississippi River as well as do other things downtown. After dinner drive a couple more hours west.

On Saturday morning, finish the drive to Kansas City and fill the day with activities on the Plaza, the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum and cap it off with a night at the ballpark.

Any other ideas for filling a couple of hours in St. Louis and Kansas City for a young family of four?

No comments: