Saturday, August 02, 2008

Dining in Edmonton

Edmonton is a very diverse city, so there are lots of dining options. The downtown area isn't loaded with high-end restaurants but there are several nice choices.

On my first night in town, I walked about a third of a mile from The Sutton Place hotel to a place called the Blue Plate Diner. Later, when I mentioned to two locals that I had eaten there, they both raved about it and suggested I return for brunch for the best eggs benedict I would ever have.

The dinner menu offered a very healthy fare - very vegan-friendly and lots of organic ingredients. I chose the baked tandoori chicken, which featured oven-roasted chicken thighs marinated in yogurt, garlic, ginger and tandoori spices. Very delicious. My two dining companions opted for a meatloaf made with lean ground beef, oats, fresh herbs, onions, carrots, celery and buttermilk and studded with dried cranberries and cheddar cheese, and a hamburger.

My second night featured a trip to West Edmonton Mall. The Bourbon Street area of the mall houses about a dozen restaurants ranging from family restaurants, pubs and sports bars to higher-end dining options. I chose a place called Earl's, which had a dining area and a lounge. We sat in the lounge on a comfortable, cushioned bench that curved around small round table. The menu offers a lot to choose from - chicken, pasta, steaks, ribs - in an elegant atmosphere.

I chose the spicy thai green curry with coconut cream curry with zucchini and sautéed shrimp on coconut jasmine rice, topped with roasted pineapple and crushed pistachios. The menu had two peppers next to it to indicate its spicyness, and it definitely had some kick. It was quite delicious.

Night three found me at Moxie's, which surprised me once I got there. There are several street-side location that give the look of any typical family restaurant or grill. I thought it could easily fall into the "Applebee's" category. Instead, Moxie's also offers a very wide-ranging menu. I had chicken enchiladas that were some of the best enchiladas I've eaten in recent memory.

One final dinner stop came at Hardware Grill located near the Shaw Convention Centre on Jasper Ave. It's a pricy place with entrees ranging from $35-$55. A companion chose an elk, spare ribs combo that was divine. I had beef tenderloin that was delicious. The "beef stew" potatoes that accompanied it tasted like they had been cooked with a roast all day. We topped off the meal with a dessert sampler that included 7-8 bite-sized desserts, including two chocolate truffles and some chocolate mousse.

I wouldn't say Edmonton is a hot bed of high-class dining, but for a visitor, there are certainly enough options for a brief stay.

No comments: