Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Weissgerber's Gasthaus - Waukesha, Wisconsin

Just outside Milwaukee in the town of Waukesha is a 25-year-old German restaurant called Weissgerber’s Gasthaus.

A small beer garden full of diners enjoying a spring evening greeted us as we arrived. Inside, the restaurant is large, decorated in German style.

The dinner menu features several appetizers, numerous entrees, soups and salads, and a wide selection of beers (I opted for a Paulaner Hefe Weiss beer).

I opted for the Gasthaus Platter as an opportunity to sample several items, and I was not disappointed. My platter offered Rouladen – a stuffed beef roll, a long, thin smoked sausage with spicy mustard, Wiener schnitzel, spatzle – a German noodle, sauerkraut and red cabbage. It was all quite delicious. My dining companion chose filet mignon on a bed of asparagus.

The dessert menu featured apple strudel, black forest torte, and cheesecake. I was surprised to see Bienenstich, a sweet custard filled pastry topped with almonds and honey, on the dessert menu. It’s always been one of my favorite pastries since my first visit to Germany in 1989. I loved picking one up at a pastry shop in the middle of the afternoon. The Weissgerber version was a little different than I remembered, but quite tasty nonetheless.

Overall, it was a nice reminder of the time I've spent in Germany.

1 comment:

Ricky said...

I came to your blog just when I was surfing on this topic. I am happy that I found your blog and information I wanted.